That’s Odd, Really, You Don’t Watch Any TV?

Hey, quick question, Hot Dog: how can you tell if someone doesn’t watch any television?  Actually, it’s rather simple; for you see anyone who doesn’t watch TV will assuredly tell you right away how they don’t watch TV.

They lay in wait, like a conceited mountain lion, waiting for a moment to pounce as soon as someone mentions anything they watched on the tube.  From there it’s a downhill ambush on the, now one-sided, conversation.  Incredible, how suddenly a pedestrian discussion about how racist or incompetent Terry Bradshaw has become or speculation about The Office’s Jenna Fischer’s belly button depth can be instantly derailed in favor of them filibustering about how “they don’t have time for that inane chatter.”

Way to steal all the fun out of the conversation, you little fun-burglar.  Hey, buddy, at least TV taught me not to interrupt until the commercial break, but you come in, on your high horse, touting your anti-television gospel.  It should be noted I’m taking the liberty of assuming you’re interrupting my conversation while you are literally on the back of some unfortunate, drug-addicted equine.

However, non-sober stallion or not, I thought in the spirit of manners you shouldn’t impede my stimulating discourse about what I think Matt Lauer smells like on the air. It’s quite rude, and, to be honest, you don’t see me trying to change the subject when your going on an on about the donation you gave to the Humane Society, the charity fun run for fat-orphans with low self-esteem and Lou Gehrig’s disease you’re setting up, or how you insist on paying a carbon tax on everything you buy.

Lisa Frankly, I think carbon can pay it’s own taxes and if I’m going to help someone, besides myself, on their back taxes, the list starts and stops with Wesley Snipes.  Further, I honestly think these fat orphans are the ones who could benefit from running more than you and the others who want to pat themselves on the back.  Do I air these grievances? Nope, you don’t see me interrupting; I just keep keeping my mouth shut and continue to fantasize about hitting you with my car.

How incredibly fascinating you are; boy, to go through life not doing something the rest of us do.  Your time must be so freed up from not watching television that you’re able to find time to read all the great philosophers, travel the world, and achieve self-actualization.  You don’t see the rest of us bragging about not doing things; I wasn’t vaccinated, but you don’t see me prancing around all smug, clamoring about how great my immune system is for keeping me polio-free all these years.

Seriously, have we become so boring that we need to talk about the things that we don’t do to make conversation?  I don’t tell you about how I don’t exploit children for cheap labor.  I don’t tell you about how I don’t shoot up Vicodin mixed with barbecue sauce because I’ve heard great things about the smoky, smooth, yet flavorful and relaxed high it provides.  I haven’t even broached the topic about how I’m not using my neighbor’s name and apartment address to commit mail fraud.  Why haven’t I told you about said lack of mail fraud?  Well, because it would be a lie, since I’m about six months into my personal best mail fraud caper.  Sorry, humble brag!

My tribe of one has spoken and the verdict reads: we like television and we don’t like you.  Don’t try to convert me; I’ve seen your side’s zealots and believe me when I say that I don’t like what they’re preaching.  This adult baby likes his mouthwash mug full and his TV on during marathons of circus or funeral accidents.  Call me old-fashioned, but that’s just how I am.   Don’t try to tell me how green the grass is on the other side; the other side does not have a video of daughter in mourning discharging a barrage of thunderous farts during their eulogy that end up overshadowing not only their dead mom’s funeral, but their dead mom’s entire life.

148 responses to “That’s Odd, Really, You Don’t Watch Any TV?

1. Christopher De Voss December 7, 2012 at 4:24 pm

To those who claim they don’t watch TV….yeah, right!

• justingawel December 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Exactly! There’s just too many compelling storylines on Maury to even pretend that you aren’t interested!

• Christopher De Voss December 7, 2012 at 10:58 pm

Maury?! Psst, I would never watch that crap at 10 am on the NBC affiliate and again at 3 pm on Fox 35 with the DVR picking it up at 1 am and 3:30 am respectfully.

• justingawel December 8, 2012 at 11:00 am

Call me old-fashioned, but I like my television to be filled with bombshells about who is or isn’t the father.

• Jeremy_Kowing January 2, 2013 at 9:46 pm

No lie (does a completely stranger telling you they are telling the truth increases the veracity of the statement?) I went to college with a guy who now is an associate producer for Maury. He’s one of the guys that searches out for the baby mama drama and books guests.
        That’s really all I had to add to the conversation. Soooooo….. Who misses “Friends”? That Matt Leblanc he’s going places.

• justingawel January 2, 2013 at 11:36 pm

That Matt LeBlanc went right to “Joey”; if that doesn’t constitute places then I don’t know what does. Also, your old college chum seems to have quite a fun job. He truly is a sorcerer of daytime drama.

• Shana December 30, 2012 at 8:46 am

There’s a pretty noticeable difference between not having a TV and not watching TV. I am TV-free by choice, but I watch it on Hulu and Netflix. I hate commercials. Does that make me a bad person? I think my abstinence from using deodorant makes me more of a villain in Florida than my choice to be TV-free.

• justingawel December 31, 2012 at 11:06 am

As a filthy adult baby, I too abstain from deodorant and love every minute of it. Frankly, most of the TV I watch is online too, just because I refuse to pay for cable.

• Shana December 30, 2012 at 8:49 am

There’s a pretty noticeable difference between not having a TV and not watching TV. I am TV-free by choice, but I still watch TV on Hulu and Netflix. I just don’t like commercials. I’m pretty sure my abstinence from using deodorant makes me more of a villain here in Florida than my choice to be TV-free.

2. humanTriumphant December 7, 2012 at 4:40 pm

lol – thanks for convicting me. I really just use it as an excuse to remain oblivious in regards to what’s going on in the world. ;) Except for my sneak-peek addiction to The Big Bang Theory that I try to hide so no one realizes I’m geeky enough to get most of the references (you know, I had to get in my “brag dig” – j/k); in my defense, I can only plead my opt-out with one word: “Snooki.” Thanks for the laugh!

• justingawel December 7, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Haha, TV truly is a great excuse to remain oblivious to what is happening in the real world. Thank you for coming by and you have laid down a strong case with the old Snooki-Defense.

3. Maggie O'C December 7, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I don’t watch TV, I watch Netflix on my TV. This is going up on my Facebook page because you and your insight make me feel small yet lucky.

4. night owl December 7, 2012 at 4:45 pm

Ah! It’s just like the joke about vegans.

“How do you tell who is the vegan at a party?

Don’t worry. They’ll tell you.”

5. Janae Martin December 7, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I’ve found that when some people say they don’t watch TV, they mean they watch shows and movies on their computer, not realizing, of course, that it’s the same thing. THE SAME THING

6. paulheels December 7, 2012 at 4:48 pm

If you do t watch TV and like lighthouses. You suck!

7. Brother Jon December 7, 2012 at 5:57 pm

I don’t watch TV, but that’s not by choice…it’s because I’m poor. But, unlike the people described in this post, I wait patiently and quietly for people to talk about TV….just so I can “catch up on my shows”. Good one.

8. ♔ la dauphine ♔ December 7, 2012 at 7:52 pm

I find the “Veggies” & the “TV Free” come in 2 breeds. 1. The type you might never know about unless you directly ask them “Hey! Do you NOT watch TV?” and the aforementioned holier-than-thou types. For the second types, they are all frauds, if not, why aren’t they in a monastery somewhere? Plenty in common with co-workers there…

• justingawel December 8, 2012 at 11:16 am

It’s the holier-than-thou types that I can’t stand and, frankly, should all move to said monastery so they can be as smug as they want together without bothering the rest of the world.

9. marydpierce December 7, 2012 at 8:09 pm

Good post. I like TV. On the flip side, you know who I find annoying? The people who wait until I say I just read this book – and then, BAM! before I get the title of the book out of my mouth they tell me that THEY don’t have time to read, they are sooooo busy, then proceed to tell me, ad nauseum, what it is they’re so busy doing. Like if I have time to read, I’m a loser.

Okay, rant over. Thank you for the forum.

In solidarity, I’m going to go watch some TV now.

• justingawel December 8, 2012 at 11:11 am

Perfect, good to see fellow TV watchers. And yeah, I agree; if you aren’t making time to read then that is on you. With people who don’t read it makes me think that they really just haven’t found the right book yet.

• fitzythird December 13, 2012 at 1:15 pm

I loved your reply here…..I get that all the time….Just realize, they think you are belittling them by bringing up the fact that you read and they dont…..

10. UndercoverL December 7, 2012 at 8:11 pm

If I weren’t married, I would propose to you! So articulately and subtly funny!

11. The Guat December 7, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I’m a total TV addict and trip out when I meet people that say they don’t watch TV. There sort of suspect from then on …

12. WSW December 7, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Thank you for pointing this out. I loathe these people. They invariably insist on telling you how many times they have sat through all 500 hours of the unbearable, excruciating, psychosis inducing Ring Cycle, and always in that over-enunciated English with the corkscrew syntax. “Once again this year, there were purchased for us orchestra seats for all ten days of Der Ring des Nibelungen, and it was simply extraordinary, though the tickets were, I must tell you, not inexpensive…”

I feel much better, but will stop ranting before I get started on the people who “don’t cook.”

• justingawel December 8, 2012 at 11:03 am

Awesome, and exactly, if they aren’t watching TV they are just wasting their time on some crazy psychosis regiment. Also, I completely agree with you that people who “don’t cook” are also terrible.

13. mytiturk December 8, 2012 at 6:59 am

I thought about your interesting point on conversation. Canadians aren’t all the same. i I moved to Ontario a long time ago from Quebec, where it seemed that conversation was often about political issues and lively. In ON, only two topics were allowed: weather and sports. People stayed away from issues that really mattered. “Making conversation” was an end in itself and sterile. I see your point about people seeming to judge or brag, but conversation should be at least partly about values. That sort of conversation will always get you into talking about things you do or like and things you don’t or hate. Restricting what should be talked anout stifles progress. That said, we’ve all been stuck in a conversation with a horse’s ass who is judging you for something you do. I get how you feel when that happens. Thanks for liking my post on “The “eyes” have it, or due they?”

• justingawel December 8, 2012 at 10:59 am

I can see where you are coming from and I too agree with a desire to be pushed out of my normal conversation habits to talk about topics that are more stimulating. Thank you for stopping by!

14. lyricaljungle December 8, 2012 at 7:21 pm

I think you were born humorous and very opinionated. If you had your own TV show, I would watch it- and then request a shout out for encouraging you.

• justingawel December 10, 2012 at 5:47 pm

Thank you, you are very sweet! I would totally give you a shout out if one of the networks ever picks up “TV With Justin” which is just rebroadcasted programming with my commentary over it. Like director’s commentary, but from someone who is just complaining and was in no way associated with the show.

15. The Unconventional Teacher December 9, 2012 at 7:35 am

Can’t. Stop. Laughing. Hahahaha! This post is awesome. As a side note, I actually DON’T have “TV” as most people consider it, but it’s because my house can’t have it. Yep. I live in the boonies, and the hippies who built my house never saw a need for it.

Since I live far away from the road (I have a winding driveway to the back of the property – READ: I am a hermit), it would cost a small fortune to run cable to the house. (Think of how much carbon tax I could pay with that amount!)

Since I live in the woods, I can’t have satellite either. I do, however, have internet, thank GOD, which allows me to watch all kinds of brain-rotting television on Netflix, Amazon, and streaming. I don’t always get to see things live (I haven’t watched a commercial in 2 years), but I DO get to watch some entertaining stuff.

And now you know.

• justingawel December 10, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Oh yes, the unconventional but yet much cheaper way to watch TV. I have to say I am in a similar situation, except I don’t like in the boonies and it’s just that I’m too cheap to pay for cable. At the end of the day, a Netflix binge is a Netflix binge no matter what I watch it on.

16. Tom December 10, 2012 at 7:13 pm

I laughed, I cried, I picked a scab on my shin. Also, on an unrelated note, I enjoyed your post. Chock full O’ win, Justin.

17. trish-a-lish December 10, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Hahaha, those people are the worst… as are the people who wait for someone to bring up Facebook or any other social-media-whatever so they can pounce and brag annoyingly about how they don’t have an account. It’s like – wow you’re really DIFFERENT. You really DON’T FIT THE MOLD. …I could probably rant about this for far too long. Anyway, on a somewhat related note, I thought you might find this amusing:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbAxT3DFVBQ (start at like 00:51, unless you’re a Friends fan, in which case you should just start from the beginning because Ross throws out a hilarious paleontology pun)
    Then again, what is Friends? Is that one of those “situation comedies”? I wouldn’t know, I hardly ever watch television.

• justingawel December 10, 2012 at 9:30 pm

That clip sums it up perfectly! I’ve never really got into Friends either, mostly due to its lack of monster trucks and fire, but yeah, solid work explaining the odd non-television watcher.

18. soad88 December 11, 2012 at 12:00 pm

I stopped watching TV ever since I started analyzing everything….. That’s really bad isn’t it…
    Ohh crackers who cares, I have better things to do ,like reading…

19. irishroommates December 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I was sold at “Lisa Frankly”

20. Jonathan Caswell December 12, 2012 at 7:54 pm

Gee…and I thought I was the only one who couldn’t pay my Charter bill! Felt as out of touch when tonight, somebody set up a display concerning THE CHRISTMAS STORY movie…and I ‘ve never seen it. That women’s leg lamp is pretty neat, though. And thanks for visiting my place: bythemightymumford.wordpress.com…come back anytime! Jonathan Caswell

21. fitzythird December 12, 2012 at 7:54 pm

You stared into my soul and knew my pain……I run into these people all the time…..You are no longer a tribe of one my friend….we are now 2….consider yourself followed….

22. avandarre December 12, 2012 at 9:19 pm

I stopped watching t.v. a long time ago. I was poor, and a severe introvert. I figured if I tossed out the tv I might be forced to meet people. Little did I know… I then had nothing in common with others anymore. I started faking it. Pretending to have seen a commercial when I hadn’t, laughing about a particular show I’d never heard of. I was a tv poser! Eventually I had had enough. Any time someone brought up a cute ad, or funny show, I’d shut ‘em down immediately with “I don’t watch tv”.

And that’s the story of why I now have Netflix.

23. murphymusthavehadkids December 12, 2012 at 10:52 pm

You think that’s bad. As a parent, you should see these mothers get on their high (boring) horses telling me their preschool children never watch TV. Ha! They showered today….their children watched TV. They checked their email…their children watched TV. You get my drift.

24. Laughing Mom December 13, 2012 at 11:27 pm

My fave is people who ‘refuse’ to get cable, and then rent series they want to watch…

25. M.Elizabeth Evans December 18, 2012 at 5:59 pm

I don’t watch T.V. and I honestly hate telling people that because they stare at me like I’ve just said I’m pro-incest. However, I am pretty much addicted to my computer, which I think is probably worse, stalkerish, and cave-dweller-y. I can make up words.

26. Kourtney Heintz December 20, 2012 at 11:51 pm

Best lines ever–“Seriously, have we become so boring that we need to talk about the things that we don’t do to make conversation? I don’t tell you about how I don’t exploit children for cheap labor.”

Point brilliantly made. :)

27. armingenica December 22, 2012 at 8:32 am

Hi,

I hate those smug bastards too. Boo.

28. Bo Lumpkin December 22, 2012 at 11:09 am

I was just complainin’ on google about the poor quality of Saturday morning TV. When my kids were young I spent the morning watching Bugs Bunny, Road Runner, Tom and Jerry and all the great classics. Now that all this goofy stuff is on parents won’t watch it and it makes the kids get tired of TV. When they are grown they have no great TV memories of eating cherios and watching TV with dad so they give up TV altogether. At least that is my theory.

• justingawel December 22, 2012 at 11:43 am

Without our TV memories we’re just a people with no collective culture. Further, it’s not a bad idea to bring back the classics more; Tom and Jerry make a great cartoon without ever saying a word.

29. pjb1943 December 26, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Each to his own….., and don’t brag about it!!!
    I watch as much TV as I feel like watching and, like you, I don’t want anyone telling me about the evils of the tube, or what I should be watching. Like your site.
    Paul

• justingawel December 26, 2012 at 6:19 pm

Thank you very much! And likewise I cannot stand when people want to lecture me about how they are better than me because they don’t watch TV; it really grinds my gears.

• candycanecoolio December 26, 2012 at 7:53 pm

Um you also look a bit like dean winchester from supernatural did I tell you that? Also forgive any bad spelling or punctuatiom as I had to give up the laptop to my mother and I am now on my nook. Anyway my last rambling was cut short. So as I wanted to say, tv encourages imagination. No womder those people are ao bland and petty sometimes. That is it, I expect, for now so thank you and allons-y to you as I go do wibbly wobbly timely wimely stuff.

• justingawel December 27, 2012 at 12:34 am

Agreed, TV, and other stuff, encourages imagination if you are watching, reading, and consuming new things. People need to just be open to new experiences and inspiration will follow.

30. bensbitterblog December 26, 2012 at 6:44 pm

I just wonder what they do with the 60 inch space on their TV mantle. Do they sit on their couch and comment on the picture of the wall with their stupid friends? How do they even know anything about anyone? Read the newspaper? Listen to their videocassettes? Text with their speak and spell? Do productive things?

31. candycanecoolio December 26, 2012 at 6:50 pm

First of all: This is coming from a teenage girl. Your blog name is an exact replica of your personality. I also know that, of course, you must be the one and only. Is that right? Also, I agree. TV is amazing. I’m not a couch potato, or anything, even though I may be sitting on my couch right now. Yeah, that kind of contradicted the whole… anyway. I enjoy my nerd shows such as doctor who (don’t judge me) Merlin (kind of sobbing right now at his name) and Supernatural (an all american show, I’m proud to say). And, of course, you’ve always got to laugh at the complex documentaries that, whenever you see them, you ask, once again, what the heck you’re doing with your life. I am glad I stumbled upon you; this kind of made my insides warm and fuzzy. And, as you are like a little boy, you may think me petty and silly and corny. But my favorite saying: I really don’t give a sonic screwdrivers magic power. Anyway, thank you for making me laugh.

• justingawel December 27, 2012 at 12:24 am

I’m delighted that you got a laugh out of my post; I’m glad you liked it and that you too are fellow TV enthusiast. Dr. Who is one that I need to get into, I’ve heard nothing but good things about that show; plus I’m a big fan of Inspector SpaceTime from Community.

32. pioneercynthia December 29, 2012 at 6:50 pm

I was going to say that the reason I don’t watch TV is that it gives me more time to read and comment on wit-tastic blogs like yours, but now I’m almost ashamed to admit that.

33. LisaAR January 2, 2013 at 10:54 am

This is a pet peeve of mine, too–thanks for hitting the nail on the head.

34. Sandi Ormsby January 2, 2013 at 11:37 am

Fun-burglar. I might just have to borrower that phrase some day. Perhaps I’ll create a post specificially so I can insert it somewhere. hahahah :)

First time to your blog!
    Sandi
    Lake Forest, CA

• Sandi Ormsby January 2, 2013 at 11:43 am

P.S. Our Last new Years Eve kid party, we had a friend proudly announce “Oh, my son doesn’t watch t.v. we got rid of all our t.v.s.” Yes, he was also the one that wouldn’t particpate in the party, because since he didn’t have t.v…..and we did, all he did was (you guessed it) watched our t.v. and couldn’t be bothered hanging out or paricipating in any of the other fun. He was busy catching up on some old shows. he was actually kind of a pain-in-the-ass. They didn’t get an invite to our party this year. See what happens…maybe let your kid watch a litle t.v?

• justingawel January 2, 2013 at 12:53 pm

Awesome, strangely enough I have been trying to get the phrase fun-burglar to catch on in just daily life. Thank you for stopping by my messy, apathetic Internet space by the way.

35. RDoug January 2, 2013 at 11:44 pm

What’s TV?

Sorry. Couldn’t resist.

36. da parson January 5, 2013 at 8:51 pm

here’s the dirty little secret – I call it the “Lab Mice Principle”: ANYTHING in sufficient quantity will rot your brain. You heard it here first.

37. therandomtexan January 9, 2013 at 6:12 pm

Amen on the NoTV’ers and the Veganelists; I do wish they’d find something novel to be boring about.

I must confess that I’m a bit of a TV ascetic myself. One evening I came home late from work and found my charming wife sound asleep in front of the TV, (not) watching HBO. After gently waking her, I asked whether she could sleep as comfortably watching Basic Cable, instead of HBO. She agreed she could, so goodbye premium cable. So we don’t watch as MUCH TV. But you’ll have to pry the remote from my cold, dead hands to stop me from watching Hawaii 5-0. With spicy meat snacks.

• justingawel January 9, 2013 at 9:29 pm

Completely agree! Personally, I don’t pay for cable so all of the TV that I actually watch comes via the Internet and the piped into the monitor. The two constants of life: premium channels are expensive and spicy meat snacks are delicious.

38. Lenzi January 9, 2013 at 8:38 pm

I don’t have cable, because I spend enough already paying for Netflix and Fandor and my DVD habit, but I hate to admit it to anyone because I know they’ll think I’m one of those smug non-watchers of TV. Oh crap, I just admitted it!

• justingawel January 9, 2013 at 9:30 pm

Haha, the cat’s out of the bag! Actually though, I really only pay for Netflix and stuff and then just find Internet sites to watch all the TV shows that I can’t find on there.

39. Bunk Strutts January 9, 2013 at 11:27 pm

I’ve been laying in wait, like a conceited mountain lion, waiting for a moment to pounce, and now my time has come to announce I DON’T WATCH TV.

I don’t have cable either. There are so many things I don’t want to watch, and I can’t even remember a show I watched regularly. I saw my first episode of “House” Sunday, and it sucked donkeys. I mean, why bother, when I can watch Ramones Raw on DVD over and over just to memorize the lines.

Carry on. =)

• justingawel January 10, 2013 at 11:29 am

Yeah, I mean I don’t really like “House” either. It’s too bad there isn’t a more realistic version of that show where he just has to appear in court for all of the instances of patient neglect and patient abuse. To each their own though!

40. kalabalu January 10, 2013 at 11:44 am

few watches tv..mostly people watch the programs ;)

41. kerbey January 16, 2013 at 5:24 pm

I barely had time between tv shows to read this blog, but I’d be happy to talk Jenna Fischer with you, or Terry Bradshaw because he is on Leno more often than Wanda Sykes (and he’s always jumping up and down and throwing his head back to laugh; it’s unsettling). I don’t do Netflix or DVR or any of that crap. I just turn the tv on and watch it. Relentlessly. Sometimes on Saturday night, I still think Love Boat and Fantasy Island will come on, but no–Saturday nights suck now. But there’s always HGTV or Food Network. Well done, JewFro. (and don’t forget about the anti-tv bumper stickers on cars. i’ve seen those as well. they can’t just tell you at the office; they need to let everyone driving behind their hybrid know.)

• justingawel January 16, 2013 at 5:46 pm

Wow, anti-TV bumper stickers! I had no idea, but then again, most people in Michigan do love their TVs. I would love to discuss the rapid slide into dementia Terry Bradshaw has gone through, seriously have you seen this little racist Freudian slip of his during a football highlight: http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2012/11/05/video-terry-bradshaw-says-bush-was-chaing-a-bucket-of-chicken-on-td-run/

• kerbey January 16, 2013 at 7:41 pm

No, I was not aware of that. Terry seems harmless enough; he probably WAS just making an inside joke reference to Jimmy, but then again, as a commentator, he should know to tippy tippy toe around anything that could ever in any way be misconstrued as racism. He does lately remind me of trying to reign in an overstimulated toddler. I had to go YouTube him all duded up and singing “I’m So Lonesome I Could Cry” to remind myself of when he was lucid. And my town has many of those kind of bumper stickers; you can smell the smug coming off them.

• justingawel January 17, 2013 at 11:20 am

Wow, yeah, Terry has been kinda been all over the place. I’m surprised and I’m not surprised about the bumper stickers; I guess when you’re that smug you’re not seeing the other side of the coin

42. Laurie-Ann Simpson January 17, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Great blog!

43. happy holly project January 18, 2013 at 11:49 am

Not odd at all … I don’t watch TV … well, except for DVR’s of Person of Interest and the election results … maybe the Innauguration.

44. the_tovarysh_connection January 20, 2013 at 5:46 pm

I think your last comment sums it up. People can do or not do whatever they want….it’s the smugness that is irritating. Viva la difference, just don’t judge me for being different. ;-)

45. unpacktherat January 25, 2013 at 6:34 pm

I never even considered that not watching TV was something to flaunt or to be smug about. I just don’t want to pay for cable,(too expensive). It’s 7.99 per month for Netflix and anything not there we use “other means” to watch.. For live sporting event we’ll hang in a pub if we really want to see it.

46. besoil January 26, 2013 at 11:20 am

Your funny, I enjoyed the read

47. cswoman January 26, 2013 at 2:37 pm

Thanks for dropping by my blog!

48. therapink January 30, 2013 at 9:26 pm

Ha!! Great post!! The thing that makes me laugh whenever I get stuck talking to someone who brags about their superior tastes and their ability to resist the oh-so-pedestrian brain drain that is the television is that most of them watch shows CREATED FOR TELEVISION on their computer via Hulu or other streaming sites, DVDs, and clips via YT.

This one couple who I know swears that they don’t “waste time” watching shows *on* the television sure knows an awful lot about “Doctor Who,” who wore what during the latest awards show, and which Sci-Fi actors have appeared on every other Sci-Fi show filmed in Vancouver (the answer: all of them!).

The husband claims that he is giving his children the gift of imagination by not having a TV in the living room (but what about all of the video games and DVDs he plays on the computer to entertain the 6 & 8 year-old when dad and mom are drinking White Zin and debating which of the regional dialects in the Japanese language was most dissimilar than the “boring” standard Japanese for the kids to learn after they mastered understanding and drawing ancient Egyptian hieroglyphics?).

This is also a couple who chose you-neek spellings and very unpopular names for their children, Tearrinse Awgist and Uhlizibetta Kuhreena.

• justingawel January 31, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Ahhh, yeah, this couple you’re describing is the prime example for why I don’t want to hear about how people don’t watch TV. They just get off on this sense of superiority to everyone and are busy just trying to constantly one-up everyone else all the time.
      It’s sad, because they’ll never be happy; there’s always going to be someone with more who they are comparing themselves to.
      Tis a real shame they can’t just indulge themselves and be open about their Dr. Who watching, they might find that more fun than trying to assert their superiority over everyone they come in contact with.

49. A Journal of Life Pursued February 2, 2013 at 6:02 am

The art of righteous indignation is alive and well and looks like your blog. Most excellent!

50. sarcasticmummy February 2, 2013 at 7:03 am

Reblogged this on sarcasticmummy and commented:
    Pmsl

51. Dave February 8, 2013 at 2:45 pm

It’s funny, people make an issue of not watching tv-like it’s something to be really proud of…but nobody really brags their ass off about not reading books, cause that would make them look “dumb”. What’s worse than non-tv watchers though, are the people who want an award for not using a computer. It’s odd, we look at those people as whacky Luddites or something whereas folks who don’t watch tv are viewed as wanna be elitists.
    Here at home I don’t watch an whole ass ton of traditional broadcast tv, but there’s stuff I enjoy on the boob tube and my wife has her favorite shows and all. We’re about to get one of those streaming boxes to hook up to the tv and just get everything off the web cause cable is a cash gouge racket around here anyway.
    There was a good punk song written about tv, like thirty years ago.

• justingawel February 11, 2013 at 6:57 pm

I’m the same way. I don’t have the money for cable, but I still will keep up with everything on the Internet. I really can’t stand when people want to pat themselves on the back for not doing anything. Honestly, I think people just like to put other people down in a passive aggressive way.

52. cindyricksgers February 14, 2013 at 9:46 am

This is so good, and rings so true, I’m only sad that it took me so long to find it, and you, with your great perspective and wonderful writing. I’m signing up! Thank you!

53. Amy February 14, 2013 at 11:22 pm

I love this story, although very sad, big hugs

54. funnyphilosopher February 15, 2013 at 10:30 am

I once had a professor feign ignorance about JEOPARDY! He said he had never heard of it b/c he didn’t have time for TV. A buddy and I were like, “It’s OK to admit that you know just a little pop culture.” Besides, it made him seem really oblivious and quite stupid.

BTW, I don’t read nor reply to blogs.

55. Brandy Desiree Collins February 27, 2013 at 7:13 pm

My attention span committed suicide at “Thry lie in wait, like a conceited mountain lion…” immediately whereafter I scrolled ferociously down like a madwoman-turned-junkie to this very comment box, where you are now witnessing my best fix ever. In the last half hour anyway.

My appetite for condescension’s prey is thus satisfied. Thank you! Lovely soul, too busy catching up on the OC or Jersey Shore to realize how lucky you are that I even care to comment.

I NEVER WATCH TV.

That was a bit over-the-top even for role playing, don’t ya think? But I am a Leo in real life. A lion indeed. And I seldom do, in fact, watch TV.

56. Megan Abigail White February 28, 2013 at 1:22 am

You write really well, and I just love well-written stuff :-) And the post was a very fun read – I also really like that!
    I’m also an non-fan of people telling me they don’t have time for TV – they’re very often the people who always have time to tell you how they don’t have enough time.

• justingawel February 28, 2013 at 1:45 pm

Thank you, thank you very much! Seriously, it affirming and validating to hear when people say that my stuff is well-written and funny. I couldn’t agree more with your last bit about people who say they don’t have time spending all their time saying they don’t have time!

57. pussyhasfurballs March 5, 2014 at 6:26 am

I just wanted to take this opportunity to let you know that I don’t have a TV and I don’t watch TV either… because I don’t have one. I’ve made sure to tell everyone at work this. Now on Mondays when they excitedly start to say ‘Hey did you watch…’ and I give them this look and their eyes glaze over in disappointment and then they stare at me, trying to figure out what they should say next. Sometimes the stares go on for too long and I want to tell them to watch TV instead. When they ask what I do instead, I say smugly that I’m reading or doing other important things but really, I’m just staring at my laptop instead. Sometimes it’s turned on.